Sunday, June 15, 2008

Holes

This weekend I was reminded of the importance of paddling in a group, even if I think the trip is a float. We were paddling the Upper Red Deer as a more advanced group! Always fun paddling when you can play!! We were just a short jaunt from the campsite and I was a bit separated from the group, so I thought I'd pull into an eddy... unfortunately the eddy had a small pour over which formed a hole... Even more unfortunate was that I am out of practice and a terrible hole surfer so after being worked for a bit, and being short of oxygen, I pulled my deck !! HOW EMBARASSING!!! I was pulled down and out of the hole, that surface seemed a long ways off while I was underwater. My boat, shot out of the other side of the hole. All I could think was that I was cold and my breath was short. I swam a bit to shore... then thougth I should grab my boat... then thought no, it's too cold. So I watched my boat float downstream as I got my bearings and swam to shore, pulled myself up on a tree, and started walking down the bank back to camp. Sigh. At least I still had my paddle.

Now you may wonder why didn't I blow a whistle or something? Well... I did... and a whistle only works over a limited distance. My lesson... do not float away from the group... EVER. Please note, I was never in a life threatening situation.

I'm looking forward to going out again and practicing surfing, so next time I won't get worked over again. I am grateful to Brad who remarked that it was a nasty hole. I appreciate the comment. =)

I made it back to camp by hitching a ride with some good samaritan rafters. And even better! Carl and Janet found and recused my boat. HURRAY!!!

Now I'm off to do yoga cause the hole was a little rough on my shoulder.

=) Paddle safe!

No comments: