Monday, January 18, 2010

December 31 2009 Take 2











Right, back to New Year's Eve. In Spain, and I assume other places New Year's Eve is also known as San Silvestre - a Catholic Saint, and the Pope, who died in the 4th century.

I was registered in a 6km running race that is typical in Spain. I thought sure, no problem. When I was 24 I ran 16km in 1.5 hours and a bit. I just about couldn't walk again, but I recovered. I should be able to run 6km without training. Really, I'm not sure from where these ideas arise, but my legs hurt for 5 days after the race. Getting older did not make running without training any easier. Shocking, I know. But I did finish the race after a kilometre long debate with my sister about ducking out and going home to shower and get on the road for New Year's supper. The debate took so long it seemed logical to finish the race as it was by then a detour to get home.

After a quick shower we were on the road to Los Llaureles just ourside of Torazo, Asturias, Spain (http://www.losllaureles.com/). I highly recommend it. The food is to die for and the house, built up from ruins, is an intertwining of rustic and modern with the IKEA accents. I felt like I was at home!!

As traditional latin parties demand, we ate all evening and then celebrated the New Year by eating twelve grapes - one with every chime of the clock. It's a bit harder than it sounds, but loads of fun.
Our evening progressed with dancing and I snuck off at my usual 1am and although the music made my bedroom vibrate, I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. It might have been the alcohol. I was the only one drinking the white wine!!! I suppose some of you agree that only novices drink white wines. I like the delicate flavours. Christmas Day I woke up with a hangover after drinking cider and non-alcoholic white wine - well let me tell you there is no such thing as non-alcoholic white wine and never will I ever mix cider with any other alcohol again. Thus New Year's Eve I only drank wine.

No comments: