Saturday, September 27, 2008

Garden Harvest

I hear that September is the time to pull the garden... now when in September is the tricky part... before the frost. Why don't I read the farmer's almanac!!!???

Well, thankfully the weekend I chose to pull the garden was the right choice. Last weekend I pulled my garden in, Tuesday it froze.

I dug the potatoes, pulled onions, ate the last strawberries, picked tomatoes, picked the immature zucchini and carrots... next year I may plant my garden a little earlier =) So what can I do with a zillion pinky sized carrots? Wash them, shred them and make carrot/apple/chocolate chip/flaxseed muffins of course. YUM!! But then I ended up with twice as much carrot as I need, and still had to deal with the 4 inch long zucchinis... heck I can make zucchini/ carrot/pecan/milk chocolate nugget/chocolate muffins. =) Okay, I admit I did miss supper, I ate two muffins at 10pm instead. They were really good!!! YUM!!! Yeah, baking is best started early in the evening or on the weekend to prevent missing my bedtime.

And if you are wondering about the tomatoes... no I still don't like fresh tomatoes, I thought they might be good for salsa or pasta sauce.

I still have lots of carrots, so today, if it works out I am going to make soup... but I have four soups to make. Borche, butternut squash, carrot and stew... well stew may not be a soup. I made borche for the first time about a week ago and wow! I make good borche. I only made a small batch in case it didn't turn out, but now that I know it will turn out, I'm going to make some and freeze it for lunches. I love warm soup lunches. But borche everyday would be tiresome, and thus the need to make a variety.

Next year I want to plant corn in pots, heard about it at Hole's. That would be so beautiful! I have the spot selected, I just need to modify it a bit next year... remove some grass. At the rate I'm going I may not have much grass in five years. Why did I buy a lawn mower?

Well, since I played hockey last night I'd best go lay down for a nap so I have energy to make soup later today. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael doesn't like fresh tomatoes, either. If you wash your tomatoes and freeze them whole, it's super easy to make a delicious soup out of them. Take them from the freezer and pour boiling water on them -- the peels come right off. Then boil them with a little water and garlic when they're soft and cooked, puree it all up. Add a spoonful (or more) of sour cream, salt and pepper to taste, and mmmm! It takes almost no time and I am otherwise not a huge tomato soup fan.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about the corn in pots - do tell! We tried corn one year and I read that you have to have a patch of a certain size and it has to be outside because corn is wind-pollinated, not bee-pollinated. Or I suppose you can hand-pollinate. We only got 2 ears of BABY corn, though!

Oh, and I think you mean borscht. ;)